WSET Level 2 Award Course over 3 Sundays Sept 2019
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is a beginner to intermediate level qualification exploring wines, suitable for industry professionals and wine enthusiasts.
This qualification is intended for beginners wishing to learn about a wide range of wines or those seeking to build on the introductory knowledge gained with the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines. You’ll gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world, the regions in which they are grown, and the styles of wine they produce. Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
What you'll learn
How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
- Pinot Grigio/Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
The style and quality of wines made from 22 regionally important grape varieties produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
Principles of food and wine pairing
This qualification has a minimum requirement of 28 hours* of study time:
- 16 hours of delivery time with a WSET course provider (classroom or online)
- 11 hours of personal study and revision
- A 1 hour examination
A one-hour closed-book examination comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions.
On successful completion of the examination you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification. You must be of legal drinking to participate in any alcohol tasting. However, this is not a barrier to successfully completing the qualification.
Who should consider studying for WSET Level 2?
1. The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of wines available. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies. The course is an absolute must for anyone considering pursuing a career in the wine industry. Acheiving a good grade in this qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines.
2. The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry who wish to study wine using a structured curriculum and formal assessment. Please note - you do not need to have completed WSET Level 1 in order register for Level 2. It is a natural progression for those who have attended the East London Wine School 8 Week World of Wine Course.
Not sure if this is the right level for you?
Click here to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
Weekend Courses - who are they designed for?
- We run Sunday and Saturday sessions for those who have a busy schedule during the week.
- The sessions run from 10.30am and finishing by 5pm, which enables you plenty of time to arrive punctually and enough time to enjoy your evening.
- There are 3 full sessions at the end of the final day is the exam.
- Sun 15th Sept Session 1 - Tasting Technique, Production of wine
- Sun 22nd Sept Session 2 – Focus on Grape varieties
- Sun 29th Sept Session 3 - Sparkling & Fortified Wines plus 1-hour Exam
What's included in the Course Fee?
- All WSET course materials including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, Specification book and Tasting Card
- Use of ISO professional tasting glasses
- All tasting wine (approx 30-35 wines)
- All course tuition
- Examination Paper
Places remaining: 4
Course Date/Time: Sun 15th Sep 2019 at 10.30am
Duration: 6 hours
Venue: Four Seasons Hotel, EC3N 4AJ